Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Gettin' Crafty: Address Number Pumpkins



I'm not big on carving pumpkins. Sure, covering the floor in newspaper and immersing your hands in cold pumpkin guts, sharpening your knife-wielding skills, and then getting to toast the seeds as a "reward" does have its merits. However, I inevitably wait too long to compost my cute creation after the holiday, and end up having to shovel the gooey, moldy mess off of my porch. Plus, I scored a few Sugar Pie pumpkins from my CSA share, and I can barely wait to make them into a delicious pie. So, I decided these babies could do double duty as dessert and decoration, and I opted to paint them. When November hits, I will just peel away the painted skin and, viola....pie time!

Since I had three small-ish pumpkins, I decided to paint them as my address numbers. I gathered my supplies: paint( I used a pot of Martha Stewart textured metallic paint in Lamp Black, from Home Depot), small artists' brushes, and a slim sharpie. Simply Googling "free number stencils" provided me with a plethora of options, and I decided on a vintage typeface style.

Next, I resized the numbers on my monitor, and then printed them out. I carefully cut out the inside of each number, and taped them to the pumpkins. I used my slim Sharpie to outline the number, being careful to follow the curves and ribs of the pumpkin. Once each number was transferred to the pumpkin, I filled it in with paint carefully, using a small brush. This particular paint is quite thick and a little tricky to use, basically it's a mix of glitter and paint.

 
 
After a half-hour or so of drying time, I displayed them out on my porch, using an old wooden crate as a display stand. I think they came out really well, and it adds a nice classy look to my fall porch decor.
 

No comments: